Embrace the heartwarming simplicity and tangy zing of our Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup. Brimming with tender chicken, nourishing veggies, and orzo pasta enveloped in a lemon-infused broth, it's the ultimate comfort dish to uplift your spirits any day of the week! Best part, it's all made in the crock pot!
When life gives you lemons, make Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup!
This tantalizing comfort dish combines the zestiness of lemons, the wholesomeness of chicken, and the light, rib-sticking goodness of orzo.
This is similar to our creamy lemon chicken orzo, but comforting soup form.
Easy to prepare and irresistibly delicious, it's your perfect food for those cool evenings or when you're in need of a revitalizing meal.
Originating from the classic love for soups, this Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup takes a delightful spin, introducing lemon's refreshing twist to the mix.
With its balance of protein, carbs, and vegetables, it's an ideal dish for hearty family dinners, comforting sick day meals, and even holiday feasts.
It's one of my personal favorite chicken soups.
It's like a hug from the inside out on cold winter days!
What you'll like about this recipe
- The enticing blend of flavors - the fresh, tangy lemon paired with warm, comforting chicken broth.
- The easy preparation - simple enough for beginners, yet delicious enough to impress experienced home chefs.
- Its versatility - perfect for a casual weeknight dinner or dressed up for a special occasion.
Boneless Chicken: We used boneless skinless chicken breasts. But you can use chicken tenders or substitute with boneless skinless chicken thighs.
Celery and Carrots: These veggies add a delightful crunch and subtle sweetness.
Onion: An essential aromatic, adding depth to the soup's flavor profile.
Herbs (Rosemary, Thyme, Garlic, Bay Leaves): These infuse the soup with a warm, earthy aroma. We used dried herbs, but your welcome to use fresh. Just be sure to double the amount if using fresh.
Orzo Pasta: Small, rice-shaped pasta that adds texture and heartiness.
Lemon: Fresh squeezed lemon juice brings a zesty brightness, balancing the soup's rich flavors.
Parsley: A sprinkle of fresh, green garnish for added color and freshness.
You'll also need a few other ingredients like:
- Chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
See Quantities in recipe card.
Start by placing the chicken, celery, carrots, onion, and herbs into your trusty slow cooker.
Gently pour in the chicken broth and season with a bit of salt and pepper to taste.
Allow everything to simmer away on low for 4-6 hours. This slow cook allows the flavors to develop and marry together.
Once cooked, shred the chicken with two forks, it adds a great texture to the overall feel of the soup.
Now, it's time for the orzo! Add it, along with a splash of lemon juice, into the slow cooker.
Let it cook on high for 15-20 minutes until the pasta is al dente.
Stir in the fresh parsley for a splash of color, and adjust seasonings as you see fit. Remember, the parmesan will add a salty kick!
Ladle your masterpiece into soup bowls and garnish with parsley and parmesan. Pair with hot crusty bread to complement the soup's zest.
Use fresh lemon juice for the best zingy flavor.
Remember to remove the bay leaves before serving.
When seasoning, do so gradually. It's easier to add more later than to fix an overly salted soup.
For an even zestier flavor, uses a fine grater and grate a bit of lemon zest into the soup along with the lemon juice.
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs can work in place of the chicken breasts or tenders.
- If orzo isn't readily available, other small pasta like ditalini or even rice can be used.
- You can substitute dried herbs for fresh ones, just remember to adjust the quantity as dried herbs are more potent.
- Lemon Chicken Wild Rice Soup: Substitute wild rice for the orzo for a nuttier flavor and more texture.
- Creamy Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup: Stir in a splash of cream or a dollop of Greek yogurt at the end of cooking for a luxuriously creamy version.
A bowl of comfort infused with zest, our Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup is your answer to a fulfilling, heart-warming meal. Making it in the crock pot only makes this easier!
- 1 – 1 and ½ pounds boneless chicken breasts, or tenders
- 1 cup chopped celery (2 ribs)
- 1 cup sliced carrots (2 medium or 12 baby)
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup orzo pasta
- 1 and ½ teaspoons lemon juice (¼ fresh lemon squeezed)
- 2 tablespoons Fresh parsley, chopped
- Add chicken, vegetables, and herbs to a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Pour in chicken broth and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Shred cooked chicken with two forks.
- Stir in orzo and lemon juice.
- Cook on high for 15-20 minutes until pasta is al dente.
- Add fresh parsley and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with parsley and parmesan. Pair with hot crusty bread.
- Savor your creation!
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs can be substituted if desired
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 256Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 322mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 27g