Today we are making Smash Burger Tacos, where the juicy, savory flavors of a classic burger meet the fun and versatility of a taco. This taco burger recipe blends seasoned ground beef, melty mozzarella cheese, and a zesty homemade sauce, all nestled in a warm flour tortilla.
Welcome to the world of Smash Burger Tacos! If you love the hearty taste of a good burger but crave the hand-held convenience of a taco, this recipe is your dream come true.
Merging the best aspects of two favorite dishes, this recipe is all about bringing together the savory satisfaction of smash burgers with the delightful simplicity of tacos.
Whether you're planning a casual family dinner or looking for a fun twist for your next gathering, these Smash Burger Tacos are sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Easy to make and packed with flavor, they're a creative spin on traditional favorites that everyone can enjoy. Let's dive into making these delicious, mouth-watering treats!
If you love these Cheeseburger Tacos you're in for more treats with our Taco Tuesday recipes!
Check out the Taco Tater Tot Casserole for a fun twist on classic flavors, the Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas for a colorful and easy meal, and the super cool One-Skillet Chicken Fajita Tacos that make taco night even more exciting. These recipes are perfect for mixing things up on Taco Tuesday!
What You'll Love About This Recipe
- Versatility: Easily adaptable to different tastes and dietary needs.
- Ease of Preparation: Simple steps, ideal for cooks of all skill levels.
- Fun Factor: A delightful twist on familiar dishes, perfect for shaking up your meal routine.
- Flavorful Combination: The juicy smash burger paired with zesty sauce and fresh toppings offers a taste sensation.
- Customizable: Each taco can be tailored to individual preferences, making it a hit with both kids and adults.
Ground Beef: Opt for fresh, high-quality beef or hamburger meat with a good fat-to-lean ratio for juicy, flavorful burgers.
Flour Tortillas: Choose soft, pliable tortillas for easy folding and a delightful texture contrast.
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese: Go for a mild, melt-friendly cheese to complement the beef without overpowering it.
Mayonnaise, Dill Pickle Relish, Dijon Mustard: These form the base of your sauce, each adding its unique flavor profile.
Seasonings: A blend of white vinegar, paprika, onion, and garlic powder creates a sauce with depth and zing.
Fresh Toppings: We used our favorite burger toppings including crisp shredded lettuce (iceburg is perfect for this recipe) and fresh diced onions for that essential crunch and freshness. Pickles would also be a great addition.
- Large Skillet or Griddle: Key for cooking the smash burgers to perfection. A cast-iron skillet works wonderfully for even heat distribution.
- Spatula: A sturdy spatula is crucial for pressing and flipping the burgers.
- Mixing Bowl: For preparing the sauce.
- Measuring Spoons and Cups: Essential for accurately measuring sauce ingredients.
- Cutting Board and Knife: For chopping the toppings.
- Lid for Skillet: Helps in melting the cheese.
Alternatives: If you don’t have a skillet, a non-stick frying pan can work. In place of a spatula, a flat-bottomed pot lid or plate can press the burgers.
Preparing the Smash Burgers
Seasoning the Beef: Begin by seasoning your ground beef with a pinch of salt and pepper. It's important to season your meat to enhance its natural flavors.
Forming the Patties: Next, divide the beef into 8 equal portions. Roll each portion between your hands to form round, smooth balls. This ensures each taco has an even amount of meat.
Shaping on Tortillas: Take one beef ball at a time and place it in the center of a flour tortilla. Using your fingers, gently press and flatten the beef to spread it out. Aim to create a thin layer of beef almost covering the tortilla. This thin layer allows the beef to cook quickly and evenly.
Heating the Skillet: Place a large skillet or griddle on the stove and turn the heat to medium-high. Add a small amount of cooking oil. This helps in preventing the meat and tortilla from sticking to the pan.
Cooking the First Side: Place the tortilla in the skillet, meat side down. Use a spatula to press down on the beef, ensuring it cooks into a thin, even layer. Cook for about 1 ½ to 2 minutes until you notice the edges browning. The first side should be golden and crispy.
Flipping and Adding Cheese: Carefully flip the tortilla so the meat is now facing up. Immediately add a sprinkle of shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the hot beef. The heat from the meat will start melting the cheese.
Melting the Cheese: Cover the skillet with a lid. This traps the heat and melts the cheese beautifully over the beef patty. Let it cook for another 1 ½ to 2 minutes. You can check for doneness by ensuring the meat is no longer pink and the cheese is melted.
Setting Aside: Once cooked, transfer the smash burger taco to a plate and set it aside. Repeat the same process with the remaining tortillas and beef balls.
Preparing the Sauce
Combining Ingredients: In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, dill pickle relish, Dijon mustard, white vinegar, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. Blend them thoroughly until you have a smooth, well-combined sauce. The sauce adds a creamy, tangy layer of flavor to your tacos.
Assembling the Smash Burger Tacos
Adding Toppings: On a clean surface, lay out the cooked smash burger tacos. Start by sprinkling chopped onions over the shredded iceberg lettuce. This adds a fresh, crunchy texture.
Applying Sauce: Drizzle your homemade sauce over the lettuce and onions. The amount of sauce is up to your preference. Some like their tacos saucy, while others prefer just a hint. Gently fold the tortilla in half over the toppings, creating a classic taco shape. Be careful not to tear the tortilla.
Serve and Enjoy: Serve your Smash Burger Tacos immediately while they are still warm and the cheese is gooey. Enjoy the unique blend of a classic burger with the fun twist of a taco!
Fridge Storage: Separately store the cooked burger pattie toritillas, prepared sauce, and chopped veggies in airtight containers. The sauce and veggies can last up to 5 days, while the burger pattie tortillas are best consumed within 3 days for optimal taste.
Freezing Burger Patties: Place them individually on a baking sheet, freeze until solid, and then transfer to freezer-safe bags. This prevents them from sticking together.
Reheating Patties: For best results, reheat in a skillet over medium heat to restore some of the original texture and juiciness. Microwaving is not recommended as it can make the meat tough.
- Ground Turkey or Chicken: For a lighter option, substitute beef with ground poultry.
- Dairy-Free Cheese: Use plant-based cheese for a lactose-free or vegan version. Or just omit the cheese altogether.
- Gluten-Free Tortillas: To accommodate gluten sensitivities, opt for corn tortillas or gluten-free flour tortillas.
- Spicy Smash Burger Tacos: Add some chopped jalapeños to the beef or a dash of hot sauce to the sauce for a fiery kick.
- BBQ Style: Incorporate BBQ sauce into your burger mix for a smoky twist.
- Veggie Loaded: Top with avocado slices, tomato, and even a bit of fresh cilantro for added freshness and nutrition.
These smash burger tacos are a delicious cheeseburger taco recipe drenched in a delicious sauce that will quickly become a family dinner favorite!
For the Smash Burgers
- 1 pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 small flour tortillas
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cooking oil for frying
For the Sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup dill pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- Season ground beef with salt and pepper. Divide into 8 portions, shape into balls.
- Press each ball onto tortilla, flatten with fingers.
- Heat skillet or griddle on medium-high, add cooking oil.
- Place tortilla, meat side down in skillet. Press beef with spatula to form thin patty.
- Cook 1 ½ to 2 minutes until browned. Press further if needed.
- Flip tortilla and burger, sprinkle mozzarella cheese on beef.
- Cover skillet, melt cheese and cook another 1 ½ to 2 minutes to desired doneness.
- Remove and set aside. Repeat for remaining tacos.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, dill pickle relish, Dijon mustard, white vinegar, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Sprinkle onions over shredded lettuce.
- Drizzle sauce over toppings, adjust to taste.
- Add lettuce and onions on top of burger.
- Fold tortilla to form taco.
- Serve immediately.
For best results, use fresh ground beef and warm tortillas. Enjoy your delicious, homemade Smash Burger Tacos!
Did you enjoy these cheeseburger tacos as much as we do? Let us know in the comments.