This red white and blue popcorn cake is quick and easy patriotic dessert. Made with freshly popped pop corn, red white and blue marshmallow mixture and M&M's!
4th of July is right around the corner. And we love whipping up fun and festive treats for BBQs and parties!
This red white and blue popcorn is made with melted marshmallows, M&M's and colorful red white and blue sprinkles!
We have several 4th of July treats like our patriotic jello cupcakes and our red white and blue smoothies.
Popped popcorn: You can use microwave popcorn or stove top popcorn, both work well for this recipe.
Mini marshmallows: The mini marshmallows melt faster and a little more evenly than the larger marshmallows.
Salted Butter: The savory undertones add flavor to the marshmallow mixture
Red & Blue food coloring: To make the red and blue layers of the popcorn cake.
Red & Blue M&Ms: Serves to add more pops of red and blue to your popcorn cake, and adds bursts of chocolate to the treat. A great combo.
Patriotic sprinkles: To add more fun color
See recipe card for quantities.
You won't need very much for this recipe. A few basic mixing bowls and a glass 9x13 pan.
In a large mixing bowl, melt ⅓ of the marshmallows and ⅓ of the butter in the microwave until melted fully.
Make sure to check the mixture every 30 seconds and stir until smooth and melted. Be careful not to cook to long, as it burns quickly.
Add drops of blue food coloring until you get a nice bright blue marshmallow mixture.
Now stir in ⅓ of the popped popcorn until all the popcorn is completely covered in the blue mixture.
Press the blue popcorn into an even layer of your greased pan.
The easiest way to make a flat layer is to use clean, wet hands to press the popcorn evenly, without it sticking to your hands.
Repeat the same process, making a white layer of the marshmallow popcorn mixture.
Press the white popcorn down as the second layer.
Finally, repeat the process once more to create the final, red layer of the popcorn cake.
Once all of the popcorn layers are in place, sprinkle the M&Ms over the top of the whole cake.
Make sure to gently press them down into the popcorn so they stick into the treats.
Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour before cutting.
Here you can see the fun red white and blue layers of the popcorn cake!
We planned on adding some fun patriotic themed sprinkles, but then decided not to after all the M&Ms where added.
It just looked perfect the way it was and thought the sprinkles would be over kill.
Red White and Blue Popcorn
This 4th of July popcorn cake is made from red white and blue popcorn layers! It's super quick and easy to put together, but perfect to serve at patriotic themed parties.
- 4 quarts popped popcorn
- 10 oz mini marshmallows
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- Red and blue food coloring
- ½ cup red and blue M&Ms
- Grease a large 9x13 glass pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, melt ⅓ of the marshmallows and ⅓ of the butter together in 30-second intervals, stirring frequently until smooth.
- Add blue food coloring until the desired shade of blue is reached.
- Stir in ⅓ of popped popcorn until it is completely coated in the blue marshmallow mixture.
- Using clean wet hands, press mixture into an even layer of your greased pan.
- Repeat with another third of the mixture to create the white layer.
- Press white layer of popcorn as a second layer.
- Finally, repeat with the remaining third to create the red layer.
- Finish by sprinkling the M&Ms over top, pressing them down gently.
- Chill for 30 minutes before cutting.
- Cut into 12 pieces and serve. Enjoy!
The easiest way I've found to spread the popcorn out into layers is by using clean wet hands to gently press the mixture out.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 171mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 2g
Leave a Reply