This hot Italian sausage dip is delicious and you can whip it up in a snap! It combines flavorful spicy Italian sausage, cream cheese, lots of peppers and topped with a yummy blend of cheese.
Get ready to add some zesty excitement to your table with this spicy Italian Sausage Dip!
Whether you're a kitchen newbie or a seasoned cook, this recipe is for you. It's all about mixing up some spicy sausage, creamy cheese, and colorful peppers to create a dip that's not just delicious, but a total crowd-pleaser too.
Perfect for any gathering, or just a cozy night in, this sausage cream cheese dip is sure to be your new go-to favorite!
What You'll Love About This Recipe
- Spicy Kick: The hot Italian sausage and peppers add a delightful warmth.
- Cheesy Goodness: Oozing with melted mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Versatile Serving: Pairs well with anything from chips to bread.
- Simple to Make: Easy steps, perfect for beginners.
Hot Italian Sausage: The star of the show! Look for sausages that are bright and smell fresh. They add a bold, spicy flavor that really makes this dip stand out. For this recipe we assume it's already cooked, so be sure to cook the sausage ahead of time and then prepare the rest according to the recipe.
Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies: These bring a tangy and slightly spicy kick. The green chilies add a nice zing without overpowering the dip. The roasted version tastes great in this recipe too! Rotel tomatoes are great for this.
Banana Peppers & Red Bell Peppers: Fresh, colorful, and slightly sweet. They add a lovely crunch and balance out the heat.
Mozzarella & Parmesan Cheese: Go for the fresh blocks and grate them yourself. They melt better and add that irresistible gooeyness to the dip. The premade shredded cheese often has a coating so it doesn't stick together which prevents it from melting as well.
Cream Cheese: This is what gives your dip its creamy, dreamy texture. Let it soften before mixing for easier blending. Make sure to let it come to room temperature to make it easier to blend.
Seasonings – Garlic Powder, Italian Seasoning, Black Pepper: These are your flavor enhancers. They add depth and bring everything together.
- Large Mixing Bowl: For combining ingredients.
- 8x8 Baking Dish: Ideal size for this recipe.
- Oven: For baking the dip to perfection.
- Alternative: A microwave can be used for melting if an oven is not available.
Start with Preheating: Begin by turning your oven on to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. It's important to let the oven fully heat up before baking the dip to ensure even cooking.
Prepare Your Baking Dish: Take an 8x8 baking dish and lightly grease it. This helps prevent the dip from sticking and makes clean-up easier.
Mix Cream Cheese and Seasonings: In a large bowl, soften the cream cheese to room temperature for easier mixing. Then, add garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and black pepper to it. Mixing these in first ensures a uniform flavor throughout the dip.
Add the Main Ingredients: To the seasoned cream cheese, stir in the cooked hot Italian sausage, drained diced tomatoes with green chilies, chopped banana peppers, diced red bell peppers, 1 ½ cups of the shredded mozzarella, and grated Parmesan.
Drain your tomatoes well to avoid a watery dip.
Mix Well: Mix everything gently but thoroughly, so each bite is packed with flavors and textures.
Assemble the Dip: Once everything is mixed well, transfer this delightful mixture into your prepared baking dish. Smooth out the top for an even layer.
Top with Cheese: Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese evenly over the top. This will give you a lovely cheesy crust once baked.
Bake the Dip: Place your baking dish in the preheated oven. Let it bake for about 15 minutes. The edges should start to get bubbly, and the cheese will melt.
Broil for Perfection: After 15 minutes of baking, turn the oven to broil for an additional 2-3 minutes. Keep a close eye during this step to avoid burning. This final touch adds a beautiful golden brown color and a slightly crispy texture to the top of your dip.
Once done, remove the dip from the oven. Let it sit for a few minutes before serving - it will be hot! Serve with your choice of dippers like toasted baguette slices or tortilla chips.
Cut up your veggies finely to make sure every scoop is chock full of flavor. Make sure to taste as you go and adjust the spices and seasonings according to your taste.
- Chorizo for Hot Italian Sausage: For a twist with a Spanish flair, try using chorizo instead of Italian sausage. Chorizo offers a different spice profile and can add a smoky flavor to the dip.
- Pepper Jack Cheese for Mozzarella: If you're seeking more heat, substitute mozzarella with pepper jack cheese. This cheese melts beautifully and adds an extra kick with its spicy peppers.
- Green Bell Peppers for Banana Peppers: If banana peppers aren't your thing or you want a milder taste, green bell peppers are a great substitute. They offer a similar crunch and freshness without the added heat.
- Bacon and Corn Addition: Add a smoky, savory twist by including crispy, crumbled bacon and sweet corn to the dip. The bacon adds a depth of flavor, while the corn brings a hint of sweetness and texture contrast.
- Spicy Cajun Style: Transform the dip into a Cajun delight by adding a tablespoon of Cajun seasoning to the mix. This variation offers a Southern twist with robust flavors.
- Italian Meat Trio: For a meat lover's version, include cooked ground beef and diced pepperoni along with the Italian sausage. This trio of meats makes the dip heartier and adds complex flavors, making it a substantial appetizer.
What to Serve With
Need some ideas on what to dip into this delicious Italian sausage dip? Here are some of my favorites.
- Toasted Baguette Slices: The classic choice. Their crisp texture and mild flavor make them an excellent canvas for the rich and spicy dip.
- Tortilla Chips: Their salty crunch pairs perfectly with the creamy dip. Opt for sturdy chips that can hold up to scooping.
- Pita Chips or Pita Bread: These offer a delightful crunch and a slight nuttiness, complementing the dip's flavors.
- Vegetable Sticks: For a healthier option, try carrots, celery, or bell pepper sticks. They add a refreshing crunch and a break from the richness of the dip.
- Crackers: Choose your favorite kind – from wheat to multigrain or even flavored crackers. Their dry, crispy texture contrasts nicely with the creamy dip.
A spicy, cheesy dip featuring hot Italian sausage and colorful peppers, perfect for adding zest to your party snacks.
- 1 pound of hot Italian sausage, cooked
- 12 ounces can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- ½ cup banana peppers, chopped
- ½ cup red bell peppers, diced
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 block (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8x8 baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine softened cream cheese with garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and black pepper. Stir in cooked sausage, drained diced tomatoes, banana peppers, red bell peppers, 1 ½ cups mozzarella, and Parmesan.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup of mozzarella on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Then, switch to broil for 2-3 minutes or until the top is bubbly and slightly browned.
- Enjoy warm with your choice of dippers like toasted baguette or tortilla chips.
Using freshly grated cheese will let your dip melt better and have a creamier texture. Also, don't skip the broiling step at the end - it gives a beautiful golden finish that's worth the extra few minutes!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 230Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 641mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 14g
In the Fridge: Keep it in an airtight container for up to 3 days. The flavors actually meld and get better over time!
Freezing: Freezing is not recommended as it can change the texture, especially the creaminess of the cheese.
Reheating: Warm it up in the oven or microwave, stirring occasionally to keep the texture smooth.