These Ham and Cheese Sliders are the ultimate comfort food. The combination of sweet Hawaiian buns, salty ham, and creamy melted Swiss cheese creates a mouthwatering sandwhich, while the buttery Dijon glaze adds a layer of richness.
Today, we're going to make this super yummy Ham and Cheese Sliders recipe. These little sandwiches are perfect for just about any time – a quick lunch, a fun snack, or even a party treat.
This is a perfect weeknight dinner recipe you can whip up in under 30 minutes.
What You'll Love About This Recipe
- Easy to Make: With just a few steps, these sliders are super simple to put together.
- Kid-Friendly: Kids love them, making them great for family meals.
- Perfect for Parties: They're a hit at any gathering or event.
- Customizable: Easy to tweak to suit your tastes or dietary needs.
Slider Buns: Go for soft, slightly sweet ones. Hawaiian sweet rolls are perfect because they add a touch of sweetness that complements the savory fillings.
Cooked Ham: Choose ham that's not too salty. Thinly sliced ham works best as it layers nicely and cooks evenly.
Swiss Cheese: The meltiness of Swiss cheese is key here. It adds that ooey-gooey texture we all love in a warm sandwich.
Mayonnaise: A little mayo on the buns brings in a creamy texture and helps to keep the sliders moist.
Dijon Mustard: This adds a zesty tang that balances the richness of the cheese and ham.
Butter: Melted butter is used in the glaze for a rich, golden top. It adds flavor and helps to crisp the buns.
Minced Onion: Adds a subtle, savory flavor to the glaze that complements the ham and swiss cheese.
Poppy Seeds: These little seeds add a nice crunch and a pretty look to your sliders.
- Baking Dish: To assemble and bake the sliders. A 9x13 inch dish works well.
- Knife: For slicing the buns.
- Brush: To apply the glaze. If you don't have one, a spoon can work in a pinch.
- Bowl: For mixing the glaze.
- Aluminum Foil: To cover the sliders while baking.
The secret to a delicious slider is baking the sandwich so everything gets melty and yummy.
Warm Up the Oven: Start by turning on your oven to 350°F (175°C).
Get the Buns Ready: Take your sweet hawaiian rolls or slider buns and slice them in half horizontally. Place the bottom halves in a baking dish, setting them side by side. A good tip here is to use a serrated knife for a cleaner cut through the buns.
Build Your Sliders: Now, spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the cut side of each bottom bun. This not only adds flavor but also prevents the buns from getting soggy.
Then, on the bottom side, layer on a slice of Swiss cheese, followed by the ham, and top it off with another slice of cheese. The cheese on both sides of the ham helps to hold the sliders together and ensures a nice melt.
Prepare the Tasty Glaze: In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, Dijon mustard, minced onion, and poppy seeds. This glaze is going to give your sliders a lovely flavor and a nice golden top when baked.
Glaze and Bake: Brush this glaze over the top halves of your buns. Be generous and try to cover them evenly for the best flavor in every bite.
Then, place the glazed tops onto your layered bottoms in the dish. Cover the dish with aluminum foil - this helps the cheese melt beautifully without burning the buns.
Bake Time: Put the covered dish in the preheated oven. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the foil. Continue to bake for another 5-10 minutes. Watch for the tops to turn a light golden brown and crispy. This step is important for getting that perfect texture.
Ready to Serve: Once done, take them out of the oven and let them cool for a few minutes. This brief cooling time makes the sliders easier to handle and allows the cheese to set a little.
Enjoy your delicious homemade Ham and Cheese Sliders! Make sure to serve warm.
Fresh Ingredients are Key: Always choose fresh buns and high-quality ham for the best flavor.
Don’t Skip the Glaze: It’s the secret to that special flavor and crispy top.
Keep an Eye on the Oven: Timing is important. You want everything melty and golden, not burnt.
Be Creative with Fillings: Feel free to add things like tomato, avocado, or different types of meat.
- Turkey or Chicken: Instead of ham, for a lighter option.
- Different Cheeses: Cheddar, mozzarella, or any melty cheese can work.
- No Poppy Seeds: Skip them if you don’t have any. Or use everything bagel seasoning.
- Pizza Sliders: Swap ham and Swiss for pepperoni and mozzarella with a bit of pizza sauce.
- BBQ Chicken Sliders: Use BBQ sauce, chicken, and cheddar cheese.
- Vegetarian Sliders: Use grilled veggies and your choice of cheese.
What to Serve With
Need some ideas for what to serve with your sliders? Here are some of our favorites.
- Air Fryer Frozen French Fries: These fries offer a crispy, classic side that's always a crowd-pleaser and pairs well with sliders. They can cook in the air fryer while your sandwiches bake!
- Italian Chopped Salad: A light and refreshing salad to balance the richness of the ham and cheese sliders.
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus: This side brings a smoky and savory flavor that complements the sliders.
- Deliciously Creamy Avocado Salad: A creamy and healthy option to add a different texture and freshness to your meal
Refrigerating: Keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days. They reheat well in the oven or microwave.
Freezing: Freeze the assembled, unbaked sliders. Bake them straight from the freezer, just add a few extra minutes.
Reheating: Warm them in the oven at 350°F for a few minutes to restore that just-baked taste and texture.
More Sandwich Recipes
Want to try some more great sandwich recipes? Here are some of our favorites.
Savor the irresistible charm of these Ham and Cheese Sliders, where each mini sandwich is a burst of flavor. The soft, sweet buns perfectly complement the rich, savory ham and the smooth melt of Swiss cheese. Topped with a golden, buttery glaze accented with minced onion and poppy seeds, these sliders are a deliciously balanced treat for any occasion.
- 12 slider buns, like Hawaiian rolls
- ½ pound thinly sliced cooked ham
- 12 slices Swiss cheese
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut slider buns in half, place bottom halves in a baking dish.
- Spread mayonnaise on both sides, on bottom half add cheese, ham, and another cheese layer.
- Combine melted butter, mustard, onion, and poppy seeds; brush over top buns.
- Cover with foil, bake 15 minutes. Remove foil, bake 5-10 minutes more.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
For best results, make sure the cheese is well-melted and the tops are golden brown – it makes all the difference!
Yes! Assemble them and keep them in the fridge until your ready to bake.
Absolutely. Feel free to experiment with your favorite cheese.
Definitely. Feel free to add ingredients like tomato slices or lettuce. Anything fresh I suggest adding after you've baked your sliders.