These delightful Fish Cupcakes are a perfect treat for any occasion. With Oreo cookies transformed into adorable fish shapes and colorful candy melts, these cupcakes are as delicious as they are eye-catching.
Get ready to dive into a whimsical world of sweetness with our Fish Cupcakes!
Whether you're hosting a kids' birthday party or simply want to bring a smile to someone's face, these cupcakes are guaranteed to make a splash.
The combination of chocolatey Oreo cookies, vibrant candy melts, and fluffy blue frosting creates a visual masterpiece that tastes just as good as it looks.
Let's embark on a baking adventure and create these irresistible treats!
These would look adorable next to our beach cupcakes!
Oreo Chocolate Sandwich Cookies: Dive into the deep sea of flavor with these rich and crunchy cookies, which serve as the base for our fish cupcakes. They bring a delightful chocolatey goodness that perfectly complements the other elements.
Blue, Orange, and Green Candy Melts Wafers: These colorful candy melts wafers will give your fishy cupcakes a vibrant and playful appearance. They melt smoothly and create a glossy coating that sets beautifully.
Mini M&M Chocolate Candies: These tiny and colorful M&M chocolates add a burst of color to our fish cupcakes. With their red, orange, green, and blue hues, they bring the aquatic theme to life.
Candy Eyes: Bring your cupcakes to life with these cute candy eyes. Each fish gets its own adorable gaze, making them even more delightful to enjoy.
Cupcakes: Choose your favorite recipe or grab a boxed mix to create the fluffy base for our cupcakes. They provide the perfect canvas for our aquatic creations.
Blue Frosting: Dive into a sea of flavor with the blue frosting that adorns these cupcakes. Its creamy texture and sweet taste complement the other components, making each bite a scrumptious experience.
Rainbow Nonpareil Sprinkles: Add a touch of magic with these colorful rainbow sprinkles. They create a whimsical atmosphere and add a delightful crunch to the cupcakes.
Start by preparing a baking sheet lined with waxed paper, creating a clean and convenient space for your fish cupcakes to set.
See recipe card for quantities.
In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the candy coating according to the package directions. If the candy is too thick to pour, add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil or vegetable shortening and stir well.
Avoid adding water as it'll give the candy a weird texture, but you can add up to 1 tablespoon of coconut oil per bag of candy wafers for smoother consistency.
Take each Oreo cookie and dip it into the melted candy, ensuring it gets fully coated.
As you remove the cookie, gently tap it against the side of the bowl to allow excess candy to return.
If any air bubbles form, simply pop them with a toothpick.
Once the cookies have set, it's time to bring your fish to life.
Immediately add a candy eye and decorate the fish with a colorful assortment of Mini M&M chocolate candies.
Then place the coated cookie onto the waxed paper and let it set completely before proceeding to the next step.
For faster results, you can refrigerate or freeze the cookies in a single layer.
Now, let's bring your cupcakes to life with some delightful frosting!
Grab your piping bag or a zip-top bag with a corner snipped off and start by piping the blue frosting in a circular motion.
Begin from the outer edge of the cupcake and work your way towards the center, creating a beautiful swirl of frosting that resembles ocean waves.
Then sprinkle some of your colorful sprinkles on the cupcakes before the frosting sets.
It's time to add the finishing touch—our adorable fish cookies!
Gently place one cookie "fish" on top of each cupcake, allowing them to swim gracefully amidst the blue frosting.
If the icing is a bit too thin to hold the fish securely in place, don't worry. Simply use a toothpick to gently secure the cookie.
After refrigerating the cupcakes and allowing the frosting to harden, you can remove the toothpick.
Place your cupcakes in the refrigerator and allow them to chill until you're ready to serve.
This step ensures that everything sets perfectly, from the frosting to the candy melts and cookies, guaranteeing a delightful and cohesive bite.
Get ready to delight your taste buds with these charming Fish Cupcakes.
The creamy blue frosting, accompanied by the playful fish cookies, creates an underwater wonderland of flavors and textures.
For the Oreo cookies: You can try using other round cookies like nilla wafers. But oreos have an ideal shape and thickness.
If you don't have access to candy melts wafers, you can use white chocolate chips or white chocolate bars instead. Simply melt them and add food coloring to achieve the desired hues.
Mini M&M chocolate candies can be substituted with other small candies or sprinkles that are colorful and suitable for decorating. Get creative and choose options that match the theme or occasion of your cupcakes.
If candy eyes are not available, you can use small round candies or draw eyes with edible food markers for your fish cookies.
Blue frosting can be swapped with any other frosting flavor of your choice that complements the overall taste of the cupcakes. Experiment with different flavors and colors to personalize your creations.
Tropical Fish Cupcakes: Instead of using candy melts in blue, orange, and green, use vibrant tropical colors like pink, yellow, and turquoise to create a tropical fish theme. Decorate the fish cookies accordingly with matching colors and flavors.
Under the Sea Mermaid Cupcakes: Use pastel-colored candy melts in shades of pink, purple, and aqua for a mermaid-inspired twist. Decorate the fish cookies with shimmering edible pearls and scales to evoke the enchanting underwater world.
- Plan ahead: Before starting, make sure you have all the ingredients and supplies ready. This will help you stay organized and ensure a smooth baking process.
- Get creative with decorations: Customize your fish cookies by experimenting with different colors and patterns for the candy melts. Add unique touches with edible glitter, edible pearls, or other decorative elements to make your fish cupcakes truly stand out.
- Allow cookies to fully set: After dipping the Oreo cookies in melted candy, be patient and give them enough time to set completely. This ensures that the candy coating hardens and adheres well to the cookies, preventing any mishaps during decorating.
- Add a personal touch: Have fun personalizing your fish cookies by giving each one its own personality. Get imaginative and create different facial expressions, patterns, or fish species. Let your creativity swim freely!
- Chill for optimal results: Refrigerating the cupcakes after decorating allows the frosting to set and the flavors to meld together. This step enhances the overall texture and taste, resulting in a more enjoyable eating experience.
Indulge in a playful and delectable treat with these Fish Cupcakes! Dive into a world of chocolatey delight as Oreo cookies are transformed into whimsical fish shapes and adorned with vibrant candy melts in a sea of blue frosting.
- 12 Oreo Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- ½ (12 ounce) package blue candy melts wafers
- ½ (12 ounce) package orange candy melts wafers
- ½ (12 ounce) package green candy melts wafers
- Mini M&M chocolate candies in red, orange, green, and blue (about 12 for each fish)
- 12 candy eyes (1 for each fish)
- 12 cupcakes
- 1 to 2 cups blue frosting
- Rainbow nonpareil sprinkles
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Melt candy coating as directed on the package. Add 1 teaspoon coconut oil or vegetable shortening if needed for pouring consistency. Stir well; do not add water. You can add up to 1 tablespoon of coconut oil per bag of candy wafers.
- Dip each cookie into the melted candy, tapping off excess.
- Immediately add a candy eye and M&Ms to each cookie. Let the cookies set at room temperature or refrigerate for quicker results.
- Pipe frosting in a circular motion on the cupcake, starting from the outer edge and working towards the center.
- Sprinkle nonpareil sprinkles over the icing.
- Place one cookie "fish" on top of each cupcake. Use a toothpick to secure the cookie if needed, removing it after refrigerating the cupcakes and the frosting has hardened.
- For best results, refrigerate the cupcakes until ready to serve.
Have fun with your fish colors and combinations!