These Chocolate Easter Bunny Cupcakes are a delightful treat that combines the richness of chocolate with the sweetness of green frosting and colorful candy eggs. Perfect for Easter celebrations or any springtime gathering, these cupcakes not only taste delicious but they are super cute. Kids and adults alike will love sinking their teeth into these festive Easter treats.
We are loving these Chocolate Easter Bunny Cupcakes! Easter is a time of joy, celebration, and indulgence, and what better way to embrace the spirit of the season than with these adorable and delicious cupcakes?
Moist cupcakes topped with vibrant green frosting and decorated with chocolate bunnies.
These Easter cupcakes are perfect for Easter-themed events, such as Easter egg hunts, family brunches, to make during a cupcake decorating party or to go along with their Easter baskets.
What You'll Love About This Recipe:
- Fun and Festive: These cupcakes are a playful addition to any Easter celebration, sure to bring smiles to both kids and adults.
- Easy to Make: These cupcakes are so easy to make but look fantastic. Even the most beginner of bakers can whip these up with no problem.
- Customizable: You can use your favorite cupcake recipe as a base and get creative with the frosting and candy toppings.
Cupcakes: These cupcakes can be your favorite flavor, whether it's classic chocolate, vanilla, or any other you fancy. You'll want a dozen of them to start. We wanted quick and easy, so we used white cake mix to make our cupcakes.
Green frosting: You can use store-bought green frosting or make your own. To create the grassy look, just add green food coloring to regular vanilla frosting until it turns the shade you like.
Easter bunny candies: Look for chocolate bunny candies that are about 3-4 inches tall. I like the ones we used as they have tall bunny ears making the cupcakes more dramatic.
Candy eggs or jelly beans for decorating: You'll use these to add a pop of color and extra sweetness to your cupcakes. Feel free to choose your favorite colorful candies.
Prepare the Cupcakes: First, bake 12 cupcakes of your choice following your favorite cupcake recipe. Once they're out of the oven, let them cool down completely. Patience is key here; frosting hot cupcakes will get messy!
Frost the Cupcakes: Now, it's time to make the cupcakes look like a grassy field. Grab a piping bag with a small open star tip. If you don't have one, you can use a resealable plastic bag and snip a small corner off. Start piping the green frosting onto each cupcake, making little peaks as you go. This will give it that grassy texture. Don't worry about perfection; it's all about the fun and the taste.
Prep the Chocolate Bunnies: Next, take those cute chocolate bunny candies. Carefully slice about an inch from the bottom of each bunny. This little trim helps them fit inside the cupcakes without sticking out too much.
Create Bunny Nests: With a sharp knife, make a small slit in the center of each cupcake. It's like creating a cozy nest for your chocolate bunnies. Just remember, don't cut all the way through. You want the bunnies to pop out, not fall through!
Insert the Chocolate Bunnies: Gently slide a trimmed chocolate bunny into the little bunny nest you just made in each of the frosted cupcakes. Make sure it's snug but still visible. This is the surprise waiting inside your cupcakes.
Decorate with Candy: Finally, it's time to add some extra color and sweetness. Take candy eggs or jelly beans and place them around the chocolate bunny. This adds a pop of Easter cheer to your cute cupcakes.
And that's it! Your cute Bunny Cupcakes are ready to make some smiles.
The key to making these Chocolate Easter Bunny Cupcakes shine is to ensure that your cupcakes are fully cooled before frosting and to be gentle when inserting the chocolate bunnies.
While this recipe is quite straightforward, there are a few substitutions you can consider:
- Cupcake Flavor: Feel free to use any cupcake flavor you prefer, whether it's chocolate, vanilla, or a fruity variation.
- Frosting Color: If you can't find green frosting or prefer to make your own, you can add green food coloring to regular vanilla frosting.
- Candy Toppings: Get creative with your candy toppings. Use different types of candy eggs, mini marshmallow chicks, or even edible flowers to decorate your cupcakes.
These Chocolate Easter Bunny Cupcakes are highly customizable. Here are some variations to consider:
- Carrot Patch Cupcakes: Swap the chocolate bunnies for carrot-shaped candies or marzipan carrots to create a "carrot patch" effect.
- Hidden Treasure Cupcakes: Instead of chocolate bunnies, hide small chocolate eggs or truffles inside the cupcakes for a surprise filling.
- Easter Basket Cupcakes: Use a basket weave frosting technique to make your cupcakes look like Easter baskets, then fill them with candy eggs and a fondant handle.
If you have any leftovers (which might be rare with these tasty treats), here's how to store your Chocolate Easter Bunny Cupcakes:
Fridge: Store cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Make sure they are well-covered to prevent the cupcakes from drying out.
Freezer: If you want to enjoy them later, cupcakes can be frozen. Place them in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 2-3 months. To thaw, place them in the fridge overnight.
Reheating: If you prefer your cupcakes at room temperature, allow them to sit out for about 30 minutes before serving after refrigeration or freezing. This will bring out the flavors and texture.
Easter Bunny Cupcakes
- 12 baked cupcakes your favorite flavor
- 1 cup green frosting vanilla frosting with green food coloring
- 12 chocolate Easter bunny candies approximately 3-4 inches tall
- Candy eggs or jelly beans for decorating
- Bake 12 cupcakes of your choice and let them cool completely.
- Pipe green frosting onto each cupcake to resemble grass using a small open star tip.
- Carefully cut about 1 inch from the bottom of each chocolate bunny candy and create a short slit in the center of each cupcake, not cutting all the way across.
- Insert the chocolate bunny into the slit in each cupcake, ensuring it's secure but still visible from the top.
- Decorate around the bunny with candy eggs or jelly beans.
You can use 12 of your favorite cupcakes, whether they're chocolate, vanilla, or any other flavor you prefer.
Absolutely! To make your own green frosting, add green food coloring to 1 cup of vanilla frosting until you achieve the desired shade.
You can typically find chocolate Easter bunny candies in grocery stores or online, especially during the Easter season.
Get creative! You can use a variety of candy toppings, such as mini marshmallow chicks, edible flowers, or any colorful candies you like.
Yes, you can make these cupcakes a day or two in advance, but wait to add the frosting, chocolate bunnies, and candy toppings until shortly before serving to keep them fresh and festive.
Look for chocolate bunny candies that are a reasonable size to fit into the cupcakes, typically around 3-4 inches tall. You'll be cutting off the bottom inch, so they look like they're popping up out of the cupcake.
These cute Easter Bunny Cupcakes are a delightful way to celebrate Easter or any springtime occasion. With their playful appearance and delicious taste, they're bound to be a hit at your Easter gatherings.