This Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak recipe combines the fiery zest of buffalo sauce with creamy ranch, all wrapped in a tender hoagie roll. This recipe is made super easy but cooking the chicken in the crock pot, making for the absolute best buffalo chicken filling.
Get ready to spice up your mealtime with a Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak recipe! This yummy recipe takes the classic cheesesteak and gives it a zesty twist with buffalo sauce and ranch.
It's easy to make in a slow cooker and is one of my favorite buffalo chicken recipes.
The chicken is cooked in a spicy buffalo sauce, shredded and then placed on a bun with melty cheese. Serve with some potato chips or your favorite sandwich sides and you have a delicious meal.
What You'll Love About This Recipe
- Simplicity: Easy to prepare with a slow cooker, ideal for busy schedules.
- Versatility: Great as a sandwich or transformed into a buffalo chicken dip.
- Customizable: Toppings and cheeses can be tailored to your taste.
- Crowd-Pleaser: Sure to satisfy both spicy and cheesy cravings.
- Leftover-Friendly: Even more flavorful the next day.
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast: The star of the recipe, chicken breast is lean, healthy, and soaks up flavors well. Look for fresh, plump breasts with a pinkish hue.
Buffalo Sauce: This fiery sauce gives the recipe its signature kick. You can choose a sauce that matches your preferred spice level – mild, medium, or hot. Franks red hot sauce is a popular choice.
Dry Ranch Seasoning: Adds a herby, creamy touch to balance the heat of the buffalo sauce. One packet is enough to season the chicken perfectly.
Butter: Adds richness and depth to the sauce, making the chicken moist and delicious. Use unsalted butter to control the overall saltiness of the dish.
Hoagie Rolls: The vessel for your sandwich. Pick fresh, soft rolls for the best experience.
Blue Cheese Crumbles: Offers a tangy, sharp contrast to the spicy chicken. If you're new to blue cheese, start with a small amount and adjust to taste. If you don't have blue cheese crumbles, you could top your sandwich off with blue cheese dressing instead.
Provolone Cheese: Melts beautifully, adding a smooth, gooey texture to your sandwich.
- Slow Cooker: Essential for tender, flavorful chicken.
- Forks: For shredding the chicken.
- Knife: To slice the hoagie rolls.
- Alternative: No slow cooker? Use a covered pot on low heat on the stovetop.
Start with the Chicken: Lay the chicken breasts in the slow cooker, arranging them in a single layer for even cooking.
Add Seasoning and Sauce: Sprinkle the ranch seasoning evenly over the chicken. This helps each piece get a good coating of flavor.
Then, pour the buffalo sauce over the top, ensuring the chicken is well-covered. The sauce will infuse the chicken with a spicy, tangy flavor as it cooks.
Top with Butter: Place the stick of butter on top of the chicken and sauce. The butter will melt and combine with the buffalo sauce, creating a rich and flavorful cooking liquid.
Slow Cooking Time: Secure the lid on the slow cooker and set it to cook on low for 5 hours. Slow cooking on low heat ensures that the chicken stays juicy and tender. Avoid the temptation to open the lid during cooking, as this lets heat escape and can increase cooking time.
Shredding the Chicken: Once the cooking time is up, use two forks to shred the chicken right in the slow cooker. Shredding it in the sauce helps it soak up all the delicious flavors. The easiest way to shred the chicken is by inserting the forks back-to-back into a piece of chicken and pulling apart gently. The chicken should be tender enough to shred easily.
Let it Rest: Change the setting on your slow cooker to warm and let the chicken mixture rest for 30 minutes. This resting period allows the chicken to absorb more of the sauce, making it even more flavorful and ensuring the sauce thickens slightly.
Assemble the Sandwiches: Take a hoagie roll and slice it open. Spoon a generous amount of the buffalo chicken onto the bottom half of the roll. For a cheesy delight, sprinkle blue cheese crumbles and top with slices of provolone cheese. The heat from the chicken will help melt the cheese.
Final Touch: Cut the sandwich in half for easier handling and enjoy the burst of flavors!
Creative with Cheese and Toppings: The cheeses and toppings you choose can significantly enhance this dish. While the recipe suggests blue cheese and provolone, feel free to experiment with different types of cheese like cheddar, mozzarella, or gouda for varied flavors. Additionally, adding toppings like sliced onions, pickles, or a drizzle of ranch dressing can add an extra layer of taste and texture, making each sandwich uniquely delicious. Remember, the heat from the freshly cooked chicken will help melt the cheese, so layer it directly on top of the hot chicken for a gooey, melty experience.
Slow Cook for Optimal Tenderness: The key to this delicious buffalo chicken cheesesteak recipe is to cook the chicken on a low setting in your slow cooker for the full 5 hours. This slow and gentle cooking process allows the chicken to become incredibly tender and fully absorb the flavors of the buffalo sauce and ranch seasoning. Cooking on a lower heat for a longer period helps in retaining the moisture of the chicken, preventing it from becoming dry or tough, which can happen if cooked on a high setting for a shorter time. If you are in a hurry, you can cook on high for 2.5 hours. It won't be as tender but still good.
- Meat Alternatives: If you prefer a different type of poultry, chicken thighs can be a great substitute for chicken breasts. They are juicier and richer in flavor.
- Sauce Variations: If buffalo sauce is too spicy, you can substitute it with a milder hot sauce, barbecue sauce, or even a teriyaki sauce for a sweeter twist. This change significantly alters the flavor profile but keeps the dish exciting.
- Cheese Options: Not a fan of blue cheese? Try feta for a similar tangy kick, or stick to milder cheeses like cheddar, Swiss, or mozzarella for a more classic cheesesteak feel.
- Spicy Kick: For those who love extra heat, add diced jalapeños to the slow cooker or a dash of extra hot sauce to the mix before cooking.
- Creamy Buffalo Chicken: Incorporate cream cheese into the slow cooker during the last hour of cooking for a creamier, richer buffalo chicken that's great in sandwiches or as a dip.
- Vegetarian Twist: Replace chicken with a plant-based alternative like shredded jackfruit or chopped seitan. These substitutes mimic the texture of shredded chicken and absorb the sauce flavors well.
- BBQ Style: Swap the buffalo sauce for your favorite barbecue sauce and add a spoonful of honey for a sweet and smoky BBQ chicken cheesesteak.
These Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteaks are a delicious blend of fiery buffalo sauce and soothing ranch, and full of flavor in every bite. The slow-cooked chicken, soaked in these rich sauces, is beautifully complemented by the melt-in-your-mouth provolone and sharp blue cheese, nestled in a fresh hoagie roll. Ideal for a hearty lunch, a weekend treat, or as the star of your next party, these cheesesteaks are sure to delight spice lovers and sandwich enthusiasts alike.
- 2 pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 2 Cups Buffalo Sauce
- 1 ounce Dry Ranch Seasoning (1 Packet)
- 1 Stick of Butter (½ cup)
- Hoagie Rolls
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Provolone Cheese
- Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
- Cover the chicken with the ranch seasoning and then add all of the buffalo sauce to the slow cooker.
- Place the butter on top of the ingredients and secure the lid.
- Cook for 5 hours on low. After 5 hours, shred the chicken thoroughly with 2 forks and mix well.
- Switch the slow cooker to the warm setting and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Load up the bottom portion of the hoagie with some buffalo chicken and top with blue cheese and provolone, if desired.
- Cut it in half. Enjoy!
For the best flavor, let the shredded chicken rest in the sauce on a warm setting for 30 minutes after cooking. This step allows the chicken to fully absorb the flavors and makes the sauce creamier.
Proper storage of your Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteaks is essential to maintain its flavor and ensure safety when consuming leftovers. Here are detailed instructions for storing the cooked buffalo chicken, assembled sandwiches, and reheating:
Storing Cooked Buffalo Chicken:
- Refrigerator: Cool the cooked buffalo chicken to room temperature before storing to prevent condensation inside the container, which could make the chicken soggy. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will stay good for up to 3-4 days.
- Freezer: For longer storage, the buffalo chicken can be frozen. Place it in a freezer-safe bag or container, removing as much air as possible to prevent freezer burn. Label it with the date, and it can be stored for up to 2-3 months. When ready to use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Storing Assembled Sandwiches:
- Short-term Storage: If you have leftover assembled sandwiches, wrap them individually in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator. Consume within 1-2 days for best quality.
- Freezing: It's not recommended to freeze assembled sandwiches as the bread can become soggy when thawed.
- Microwave: For a quick option, reheat the chicken in a microwave-safe container, covered, on a medium setting to avoid drying it out. If it seems dry, add a splash of water or chicken broth before reheating.
- Stovetop: Reheat the chicken in a skillet over medium heat. This method helps to retain the moisture and brings back the flavors. Stir occasionally and add a little water or broth if needed.
- Oven: Reheat wrapped sandwiches in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 10-15 minutes or until heated through. This method works well for maintaining the texture of the bread and melting the cheese nicely.
If the sauce has thickened too much upon storage, a little additional buffalo sauce or a splash of milk can help to bring it back to the desired consistency.