Looking to spice up your Taco Tuesdays or add a zing to your dinner game? Enter: Chicken Fajita Tacos! This recipe delivers sizzling, seasoned chicken, sweet bell peppers and onions all nestled in a soft flour tortilla. With a perfect blend of spices and smoky flavors, these tacos are just waiting to be your next culinary triumph.
Everybody has that one recipe that makes their heart sing. For me, it's these homemade Chicken Fajita Tacos.
This quick and easy recipe brings together a symphony of flavors with a handful of simple ingredients.
With an aroma that can fill a room and a taste that can brighten up any meal, it's safe to say these tacos are a love song for your taste buds.
Originating from the Tex-Mex cuisine, these skillet chicken fajitas are a beloved dish known for its hearty ingredients and exciting blend of spices.
Our Chicken Fajita Tacos, with their colorful medley of peppers and succulent chicken, are a delightful twist on the classic, making them perfect for any occasion.
Whether you're hosting a game night, throwing a Cinco De Mayo party, or just need a quick and satisfying dinner, these chicken tacos have you covered.
What you'll like about this recipe
- Simple: With common ingredients and straightforward steps, anyone can whip up these chicken fajitas in no time.
- Fast: From start to finish, you're only 35 minutes away from a delicious meal.
- Flavorful: The homemade chicken fajita seasoning adds an authentic taste that will transport you straight to a Tex-Mex cantina.
- Versatile: Top with your favorite toppings like guacamole, salsa, cior sour cream for a custom creation.
Here are the key ingredients for our skillet chicken fajita tacos.
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: The lean, tender protein that's the star of our show.
A Rainbow of Bell Peppers: Brings a sweet crunch and vibrant color to our fajita filling. We used one of each, red, yellow and orange for an awesome flavor combination.
Poblano Pepper: For that mild, earthy heat that adds a layer of complexity.
Onion: Adds a caramelized sweetness when sautéed.
A Medley of Spices: Chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, and granulated garlic combine to create a symphony of flavor.
Olive Oil: Adds a subtle richness and helps our ingredients cook to perfection.
Flour Tortillas: The warm, soft vessel that holds it all together. It's not a taco without a tortilla.
See Quantities in recipe card.
Start by setting your trusty skillet to medium heat and adding in the olive oil.
In a bowl, blend all the spices together. This seasoning is like a Tex-Mex pixie dust that brings magic to our chicken and veggies.
Generously sprinkle most of the seasoning on your chicken, but remember to save some for the veggies.
Cook your chicken on each side for 5-7 minutes, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. That's when you know it's done to perfection.
While your chicken is basking in the spice rub, slice your onions and bell peppers and pablano pepper into thin strips.
Once the chicken has finished, toss your vegetables into the skillet and shower them with the remaining seasoning.
Let them cook in the skillet for about 10 minutes until they reach a beautiful caramelization.
During this time, your chicken can cool down a bit before being sliced into thin, bite-sized strips.
Just as the veggies are near done cooking, add the chicken strips back into the mix, stir thoroughly and then remove from heat.
Warm up some tortillas in the microwave or on the stove, and then fill them with your delicious fajita mixture. Now, take a bite and savor the fruits of your labor!
Short on time? Speed things up by cooking your vegetables simultaneously in a separate skillet.
Rather than worrying about the exact cooking time, focus on ensuring your chicken reaches the right internal temperature.
Don't fret if your pile of veggies looks too large; they will shrink considerably while cooking.
When prepping, remember to cut your chicken and veggies into bite-sized pieces for easy taco filling and eating.
Make extra! These tacos freeze well and are perfect for quick future meals.
The beauty of Chicken Fajita Tacos is their adaptability. You can add a variety of toppings to cater to your palate. Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Guacamole: Creamy and refreshing, guacamole brings a wonderful texture and flavor to your tacos. If you're feeling ambitious, make your own for an extra homemade touch!
- Sour Cream: The coolness and tang of sour cream is a delightful counterpoint to the smoky and spicy flavors in the fajitas.
- Salsa: Whether you prefer a traditional tomato salsa, a vibrant salsa verde, or a sweet and spicy mango salsa, this topping adds an extra punch of flavor.
- Cheese: A sprinkle of shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a Mexican blend adds a layer of cheesy goodness.
- Fresh Cilantro: For those who enjoy its unique flavor, a handful of fresh cilantro leaves can add a nice herby freshness.
- Lime Wedges: A squeeze of lime just before you take a bite can really make the flavors pop!
Remember, these are just suggestions. Feel free to mix and match to create your perfect Chicken Fajita Taco. Happy topping!
- Can't find a poblano pepper? An extra green bell pepper with a sprinkle of cayenne will do the trick!
- If you're out of olive oil, canola or vegetable oil will serve you just as well.
- For a gluten-free version, use corn tortillas instead of flour ones.
- Shrimp Fajita Tacos: Substitute the chicken with shrimp for a seafood twist.
- Vegetarian Fajita Tacos: Skip the chicken and add a mix of your favorite vegetables like zucchini or mushrooms.
- Steak Fajita Tacos: Use thin slices of flank steak instead of chicken for a beefier option.
Leftovers? No problem! Chicken Fajita Tacos make for excellent next-day lunches or on-the-go dinners. Here's how to store them:
Fridge: Keep your fajita filling in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It should stay fresh for up to 4 days. To reheat, simply pop it in the microwave or toss it back in the skillet for a few minutes until heated through. Remember to heat your tortillas separately to keep them soft and pliable.
Freezer: This recipe is a meal-prep star! You can freeze the cooked fajita filling in an airtight container for up to 2 months. When you're ready to enjoy, let it thaw overnight in the fridge and then reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
Tortillas: It's best to store tortillas at room temperature in their original packaging. If you've opened the package, transfer any leftover tortillas to a zip-top bag and use them within a week.
Remember, the key to delicious leftovers is to store the tortillas and fajita filling separately. This way, the tortillas stay fresh and don't become soggy from the fajita mixture. Enjoy your chicken fajita tacos today and for many meals to come!
Fast and Flavorful: These Chicken Fajita Tacos are a quick yet deliciously satisfying meal, filled with seasoned chicken and caramelized vegetables.
- 3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper
- 1 Poblano Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil (optional)
- Flour Tortillas
- Preheat the skillet over medium heat and add your preferred oil or cooking option.
- Mix all spices in a bowl until well combined.
- Season the chicken, reserving a quarter of the spice mixture for the vegetables.
- Cook the chicken for 5-7 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- While the chicken cooks, thinly slice the onion and all peppers.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the vegetables to the skillet and sprinkle with the remaining seasoning.
- Saute the vegetables until caramelized, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
- Slice the cooked chicken into thin strips.
- When the vegetables are almost done, add the sliced chicken to the skillet and mix well. Remove from heat.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave or on the stovetop, then fill them with the fajita mixture. Enjoy!
If you want to make this process even quicker, have an extra skillet handy and cook your vegetables at the same time as the chicken, just in a separate skillet.
We hope you enjoy these healthy chicken fajita tacos as much as we do. They're a regular in our house for taco tuesday!