This broccoli and sausage casserole is a quick and easy breakfast casserole to whip up for a hearty, tasty way to start your morning. It combines the juiciness of Italian sausage with the freshness of broccoli and cheddar, creating a mouth-watering breakfast experience.
Start your day with a delicious and nutritious Breakfast Casserole with Broccoli and Sausage. This dish is a fantastic combination of flavors that will wake up your taste buds and give you the energy to tackle your day.
This Breakfast Casserole with Broccoli and Sausage is ideal for brunch gatherings, holiday mornings, or even as a make-ahead breakfast for busy weekdays.
Its roots lie in traditional breakfast dishes, but with a unique twist that adds extra nutrition and flavor.
What You'll Love About This Recipe
- Easy to Make: Simple steps even for beginners.
- Customizable: Can easily adapt with different ingredients.
- Nutritious and Filling: Packed with protein and veggies.
- Perfect for Any Occasion: Great for breakfast, brunch, or dinner.
Italian Sausage: This is the star of the dish, adding a juicy, savory flavor. Look for fresh, high-quality sausage for the best taste.
Red Onion: It brings a mild, sweet flavor that complements the sausage perfectly.
Russet Potato: These potatoes are ideal for baking as they're starchy and hold their shape well.
Eggs: They bind everything together and make the casserole fluffy and light.
Whole Milk: Adds creaminess to the eggs. For a richer taste, you can even use half-and-half.
Broccoli: Not just for health – it adds a wonderful crunch and color. Fresh broccoli works best.
Sharp Cheddar Cheese: Its strong flavor pairs well with the sausage. You can experiment with different types of cheddar to find your favorite.
Fresh Chives: They add a fresh, oniony touch without being overpowering.
Sea Salt & Black Pepper: Essential seasonings that enhance all the other flavors.
See recipe card for quantities.
- 8 x 8-inch Baking Dish: The perfect size for this recipe. A similar-sized casserole dish works too.
- Large Skillet: For cooking the sausage and veggies.
- Whisk and Bowl: For mixing eggs and milk.
- Wooden Spoon: Useful for breaking up the sausage and mixing ingredients.
- Cheese Grater: If using a block of cheese.
Start by setting your oven to 350°F. This is crucial because it ensures the casserole cooks evenly. An oven that's not properly preheated can lead to undercooked or unevenly cooked dishes.
Next, use a non-stick cooking spray on your 8 x 8-inch baking dish and set aside for now.
Place your skillet over medium heat and add the sausage. As it cooks, use a wooden spoon to break it into smaller pieces. This helps cook the sausage evenly and also makes sure every bite of your casserole has a bit of sausage in it.
Cook until it’s slightly browned, which should take about 3-4 minutes. Browning brings out a richer flavor in the sausage.
Once the sausage is browned, add your diced onion and potato to the skillet. Season with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
Stir occasionally, and cook until the onions become soft and the potatoes are golden brown, which usually takes 6-7 minutes. The onions add a sweet flavor, while the potatoes offer a comforting, hearty texture.
While the sausage mixture is cooking, take a small bowl and whisk together your eggs and milk. Season this with a little more salt and black pepper.
This mixture will bind all the ingredients together in the casserole, and the milk adds creaminess.
Stir in half a cup of the shredded cheddar cheese – cheese in this step ensures every layer of your casserole is cheesy and delicious.
Now you can transfer the cooked sausage, onion, and potato mixture into your prepared baking dish. Spread it out evenly. This forms the first layer of your casserole.
Next, add the diced broccoli over this layer. The broccoli adds not just health benefits but also a nice crunch and color contrast.
Pour your egg mixture evenly over the sausage, potato, and broccoli layers in the baking dish.
Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. This will create a delicious, golden, cheesy crust on your casserole.
Place the baking dish in your preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when the eggs are set and the top is slightly golden.
The baking time might vary slightly depending on your oven, so keep an eye on it after 25 minutes.
After taking the casserole out of the oven, let it sit for a few minutes. This rest time allows everything to set, making it easier to cut and serve.
The casserole is best served warm. Add a garnish of fresh chives for an extra pop of flavor and color.
Make this a Make a Head Casserole
If you want to make this ahead of time, follow the above directions right until the baking part comes.
You can store your sausage, broccoli and egg mixture in the fridge overnight and pop it in the oven in the morning. Just let it sit at room temperature for 15 minutes to get the chill off before baking so it'll cook evenly.
- Turkey Sausage: For a lighter version.
- Almond Milk: A dairy-free alternative.
- Other Veggies: Spinach, bell peppers, or mushrooms can be used instead of broccoli.
- Spicy Version: Add some chili flakes for a kick.
- Vegetarian Option: Skip the sausage and add more veggies and cheese.
- Different Meats: Try bacon or ham instead of sausage.
Fridge Storage: Cool the casserole completely before storing. Cover it with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, or transfer it to an airtight container. It will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
Freezer Friendly: Wrap individual portions in foil and place them in freezer bags. They can be frozen for up to a month.
Reheating Tips: For best results, reheat in the oven at 350°F until warm. Microwaving works too, but the oven preserves the texture better.
Whether it's a family meal or a brunch with friends, this breakfast casserole's combination of flavorful sausage and fresh broccoli is sure to win hearts.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- ½ pound bulk Italian sausage (no casings)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 large russet or Idaho potato, diced
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 cups fresh broccoli, diced
- ¾ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 8 x 8-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Set large skillet over medium heat, add sausage. Cook until slightly browned, breaking up as it cooks, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add onion, potato, season with salt, black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, potatoes turn golden brown, about 6-7 minutes.
- Whisk eggs, whole milk in small bowl, season with salt, black pepper. Add half cup cheddar cheese, stir to combine.
- Transfer sausage-potato mix to baking dish, stir in diced broccoli. Spread evenly, pour egg mix over top. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake in preheated oven until eggs set, potatoes cooked through, about 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool several minutes before slicing. Top with fresh chives, serve. Enjoy!
Let your casserole rest 10 minutes before cutting to allow the egg mixture to set completely.