Bang Bang Shrimp is a delightful and flavorful dish, perfect for those who love a blend of crispy textures and a hint of spice. It's a famous appetizer featured in the Bonefish Grill menu. This recipe brings together yummy shrimp with a creamy, tangy, and slightly spicy sauce. It's perfect for appetizers, quick family dinners, or as a special treat during gatherings. Plus it's super easy to whip up!
This easy to make bang bang shrimp recipe brings a burst of flavor to your table. Whether you're cooking for a family dinner, a get-together with friends, or just treating yourself, this dish is sure to impress.
With its crispy shrimp and creamy, zesty sauce, Bang Bang Shrimp is a meal that everyone, from beginners to seasoned cooks, can easily whip up and enjoy!
What You'll Love About This Recipe
- Easy and Quick to Prepare: With a total time of about 25 minutes, this recipe is perfect for busy days.
- Versatile: Serve as an appetizer or a main dish over rice or salad.
- Customizable Spice Level: Adjust the heat to your preference, making it a crowd-pleaser.
- Crispy and Flavorful: The perfect balance of crispy shrimp and creamy, zesty sauce.
Raw Shrimp: Choose fresh, large shrimp for the best flavor. Shrimp is not only tasty but also cooks quickly, making it perfect for a fast meal.
Cornstarch: This is our secret weapon for a crispy coating. It's lighter than flour and gives the shrimp that perfect crunch.
Vegetable Oil: A must for frying. It has a high smoke point, meaning it gets hot without burning.
Mayonnaise, Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, Rice Vinegar, Sriracha, Sugar: Together, these create the magical Bang Bang Sauce. It's creamy, with a perfect balance of sweetness, tanginess, and heat.
Sliced Green Onions and Tomatoes: Optional, for garnish.
- Deep Pan or Skillet: Essential for frying the shrimp to crispy perfection.
- Mixing Bowls: For preparing the sauce and coating the shrimp.
- Tongs or Slotted Spoon: Ideal for safely turning and removing the shrimp from hot oil.
Prepping Your Oil: Start by pouring enough vegetable oil into your deep pan or skillet so it's about 2 inches deep. Turn your stove to medium-high heat. You'll know it's ready for frying when a drop of water sizzles upon contact.
Seasoning the Shrimp: Take your peeled and deveined shrimp and give them a good sprinkle of salt and pepper. This not only adds flavor but also helps the cornstarch stick better.
Coating the Shrimp: Next, roll each shrimp in cornstarch. Make sure they're completely covered. This is what creates that deliciously crispy shell when fried.
Frying the Shrimp: Once your oil is hot, carefully place a batch of shrimp in the pan. Don't overcrowd them; they shouldn't touch each other. This ensures even cooking and perfect crispiness.
Fry them for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until they're golden and crispy. Use tongs or a slotted spoon to turn them over and then to transfer them onto a plate lined with paper towels. This helps drain any excess oil.
Making the Bang Bang Sauce: While your shrimp are frying, mix your sauce. In a bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha sauce, and sugar.
The key is to taste as you go and adjust the flavors to your liking, especially the spiciness.
Coating with Sauce: Once all your shrimp are fried and drained, put them in a large bowl. Drizzle your creamy Bang Bang Sauce over the cooked shrimp and gently toss until they're all evenly coated. This step is best done right before serving so the shrimp stay crispy.
Garnishing and Serving: Finally, scatter sliced green onions and diced tomatoes over your saucy shrimp for a fresh and colorful finish.
Your Bang Bang Shrimp is now ready to be served, either as a stand-alone appetizer or over a bed of rice or salad for a complete meal. Enjoy your culinary creation!
Get the Oil Temperature Right: Use a thermometer to ensure the oil is around 350°F for perfect frying.
Fry in Batches: This prevents the shrimp from sticking together and ensures even cooking.
Customize Your Sauce: Start with less sriracha and add more to taste for the perfect spice level.
Fresh is Best: Fresh shrimp and garnishes give the dish a superior flavor and texture.
Timing is Everything: Fry the shrimp just before serving to keep them crispy.
Garnish Galore: Experiment with different garnishes like cilantro or lime wedges for extra flavor.
Drain Excess Oil: After frying, let the shrimp sit on a paper towel to remove any excess oil.
- Chicken: For a non-seafood variant, try using chicken.
- Gluten-Free Cornstarch: For a gluten-free version, ensure your cornstarch and sauce ingredients are gluten-free.
- Greek Yogurt: Substitute mayonnaise with Greek yogurt for a healthier sauce.
- Spicy Bang Bang Shrimp: Increase the amount of sriracha for an extra kick.
- Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos: Serve in tacos for a fun twist.
- Bang Bang Shrimp Salad: Serve over a bed of greens for a lighter option.
Refrigerator: Keep the fried shrimp and sauce separate if possible. Store in airtight containers for up to 2 days.
Freezer: Freezing is not recommended as it will change the texture of the shrimp.
Reheating: Reheat the shrimp in an oven or on a skillet to bring back some of the crispiness. Then toss in the sauce just before serving.
What to Serve with Bang Bang Shrimp
To complement the crispy and flavorful Bang Bang Shrimp, here are some of our favorite side dishes that will round out your meal perfectly:
- Steamed White or Brown Rice: A simple yet classic choice, rice offers a neutral, soothing base that balances the bold flavors of the shrimp. It's also great for soaking up that delicious Bang Bang sauce!
- Fresh Salad: Opt for a crisp green salad dressed lightly with a vinaigrette. This refreshing option cuts through the richness of the shrimp and adds a healthy, vibrant element to your meal.
- Asian-Style Noodle Dishes: Noodles like lo mein, rice noodles, or soba, lightly tossed in a subtle sauce, can create an Asian-inspired feast. They add a delightful texture contrast and can be flavored to complement the shrimp's spice level.
These sides are not just delicious but also help turn your Bang Bang Shrimp into a well-rounded, satisfying meal.
Bang Bang Shrimp combines crispy fried shrimp with a creamy, tangy, and slightly spicy sauce that's unforgettable.
For the Shrimp
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1 cup cornstarch
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Salt, pepper to taste
Bang Bang Sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Sliced green onions
- Diced tomatoes
- Heat vegetable oil in deep pan or skillet over medium-high.
- Season shrimp with salt, pepper.
- Dredge shrimp in cornstarch, coat evenly.
- Fry shrimp in batches, 2-3 minutes per side, until golden, crispy.
- Place fried shrimp on paper towel-lined plate.
- Mix mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha sauce, sugar for sauce.
- Toss fried shrimp in sauce, coat evenly.
- Garnish with green onions, tomatoes.
- Serve immediately as appetizer or over rice, salad.
For best results, ensure oil is hot before frying shrimp and do not overcrowd pan. This maintains oil temperature and ensures even cooking, achieving perfect crispiness. Wait to pour sauce over shrimp right before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 525Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 251mgSodium: 1491mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 27g