This delicious apple tart is made with premade pie crust and a home made apple filling. It's such an easy, yet satisfying fall dessert.
I just can't get enough of this delicious dessert. The perfectly cooked apples and all those comforting spices are absolutely amazing together!
What is an Apple Tart?
An apple tart is a type of apple dessert that involves an apple filling and a crust on the bottom.
The main difference between an apple pie and an apple tart is simply that apple tarts don't have a crust over the top of them like an apple pie would.
How Do You Cut Apples for an Apple Tart?
The easiest way to slices apples to create a beautiful tart, is to first use an apple corer and remove the center of the apple.
Next, cut the apple in half from top to bottom so you have 2 equal halves.
I like to leave the apple peels on for my apple tarts, but you can remove the peel at this point if you prefer.
Then slice the apple halves into equal slices until the apple is fully sliced.
For this apple tart, we'll use premade pie crust and a few basic ingredients to create a delicious apple filling.
- Premade pie crust
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Apples (Fuji are great to cook with)
- Lemon Juice
- Ground cinnamon
Instructions for making an Apple Tart
In a large skillet melt the butter over medium high heat. Add in the apple slices, brown sugar, white sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and the nutmeg.
Using a wooden spoon, toss the apple to complete cover all the slices with the sugar and spice mixture.
Reduce heat to low, cover the skillet and cook until the apples are fragrant and tender. Usually about 15-20 minutes.
Remove the apple slices from the heat and let cool.
Line a baking sheet with a large piece of parchment paper. Roll out the pie dough to create a 14 inch circle.
Pour the apple slices into the center of the circle and spread evenly over the dough, leaving a 2 inch edge of only pie dough.
Next, start folding the edge of the dough over the apple filling and gently press the dough to seal it.
Brush all the exposed curst with water and a little sprinkle of the turbinado sugar.
Now bake your apple tart in the oven for 45 minutes, or until the crust is a beautiful golden brown.
Serve with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon, or with fresh vanilla ice cream.
Easy Apple Tart
This delicious and simple apple tart uses a premade pie crust and homemade cinnamon apple filling. It's quick, easy and tastes amazing.
- Premade pie crust
- 2 tbsp. butter
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 3 lbs Fuji apples sliced (about 9 cups)
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. water
- 1 tsp. turbinado or decorative sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add apple slices, brown sugar, white sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Toss together with a wooden spoon and reduce heat.
- Cover the skillet and cook until apple slices are tender, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Roll dough out on parchment paper to a 14 inch circle. Arrange apples in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches around the edge.
- Fold the dough over the edge of the apples and press gently where the dough creases to seal. Brush crust with water and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the tart crust is golden.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Leave a Reply